Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Dairy Free Chicken Alfredo Pizza with Kamut Crust


Ok so I've been totally slacking on the blog for the past several weeks.  It's just been so crazy trying to start a new job, new daycare, a new schedule, and balance regular every day life as we know it.  I've actually been on a soup kick the last several weeks because it's easy and cheap, and there are a ton of great recipes out there.  However, after a month of soup, I find myself craving home made pizza more and more.  This particular one was inspired by Papa Murphy's Chicken Bacon Artichoke DeLite pizza.  Although I usually prefer my pizza loaded up with vegetables, I will always make an exception for the Chicken Bacon Artichoke pizza.  It really is one of the best pizzas ever invented in my opinion.  The whole time I was breastfeeding, I was craving it like crazy.  So I took on the challenge of making a dairy free version that was also safe for my little one to eat.  It actually ended up being a lot easier than I expected.  With an alfredo sauce inspired by a recipe by Angela Liddon, auther of "Oh She Glows," and a pizza crust recipe that my brother brought home from home ec in school (I found that this particular recipe works well with Kamut), I was easily able to create what just might be the greatest dairy free pizza ever.  I made this pizza for my dad and step mom and I think I blew their minds.  They totally weren't expecting a dairy free pizza to taste this good.   It is time consuming to make so I don't make it often, but the finished product is well worth the work.  P.S. sorry about the funky coloring on some of the pictures.  I got caught taking them at an awkward time of day. 







Dairy Free Chicken Alfredo Pizza
 

 For the Kamut Crust
(Makes two 14 inch pizza crusts)

Ingredients:

2 cups warm water
6 teaspoons sugar
2 Tablespoons oil
2 Tablespoons yeast
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/4 cups Kamut flour

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  2. Mix water, sugar, oil, and yeast in a mixing bowl and let sit for a few minutes to activate yeast.
  3. Add the salt and flour and mix until combined.  The dough should be firm but slightly sticky. You may need to add more or less flour to get this consistency. 
  4. Divide the dough in half.  Roll out each half to fit the pan (approximately 14 inches).  You may need to use extra flour or oil as you roll the dough out to keep it from sticking. 
  5. If using a stone pizza pan, sprinkle the pan with a little Kamut flour to prevent the dough from sticking.  If using a regular pan, you can either use flour or spray the pan with oil. 
  6. Place the dough on the pan.  If desired you can fold up the sides for a thicker crust. 
  7. Add sauce and toppings to the pizza.

* For a gluten free option, use gluten free crust of choice

For the Sauce

Ingredients:

6 cloves garlic
1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight and drained)
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon tahini
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons Braggs Amino Acids or Soy Sauce
¼ teaspoon salt
2G Tablespoons almond milk or non-dairy milk of chioce

Directions:
  1. Place the garlic in a food processor and blend until finely minced.
  2. Add the cashews and blend until smooth being careful not to over blend (you do not want cashew butter).
  3. Add the nutritional yeast, tahini, lemon juice, Braggs, salt, and almond milk.  Continue blending until you have a nice creamy consistency.  If the sauce is too thick for your liking, just add a little extra almond milk.
  4. Spread the sauce over the crust and add toppings

Optional Pizza Toppings

Really any toppings would taste great on this pizza, but here is a list of suggestions.

Chicken
Bacon
Mushrooms
Spinach
Green or Red Onions
Zucchini
Tomatoes
Bell Peppers
Vegan Cheese (I used Vegan Gourmet)
Marinated Artichoke Hearts (I used Reese's Grilled Artichoke Hearts because they are free of citric acid)

Any other toppings you would like


Cooking Instructions:

Once the pizza is assembled, bake at 450 degrees for 8-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.









No comments:

Post a Comment