Pages

Monday, August 18, 2014

Back to School Special: Chocolate Almond Power Smoothie


 
This week marks the start of the 2014-2015 school year for the students here in Salt Lake.  It is also the week that I return to work after a summer that was way too short.  I can't believe it's already time to go back.  There were so many things I still wanted to do, most of which involved cleaning, sewing, and going to the zoo.  Oh well, perhaps next summer I will get more done.... maybe.... probably not sewing.... and who am I kidding, I'm not going to clean either.  Anyhow, this post is a Chocolate Almond Power Smoothie.  It's loaded with protein, omega-3's, and essential fatty acids that will jump start your brain and give your body energy so that you can focus on learning.... and recess.  It's also super quick and easy to make, which makes it the perfect before-school breakfast that your kids will love.  I used my dad's vita mix to make this one and it turned out amazing!  I must get one as soon as I have funding to buy a $300 blender.  Fortunately any blender or food processor will work in the mean time.
 
 
 
Chocolate Almond Power Smoothie
 
Ingredients:
 
1/3 cup almonds (soaked)
1/2 of a banana (frozen)
1/2 of an avocado
1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon raw sugar (or sweetener of choice)
2 teaspoons hemp seeds
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1/2 cup almond milk
Fresh fruit, granola, whipped cream (optional)
 
 
Directions:
 
  1. Soak the almonds in water for 4-8 hours or overnight. 
  2. Drain the almonds and place them in a blender or food processor.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth
  4. Serve with fresh fruit, granola, or whipped cream if desired.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment